A MAN has been arrested on connection with a fire that devastated the landmark Newell House in Sherborne.
Police said a man in his 30s, from Milborne Port, had been arrested on suspicion of arson after the “suspicious” blaze, which occurred on Sunday, April 26.
Fire crews and police were called to the scene, in Cornhill, on the evening of April 26, with officers confirming it was being treated as suspicious after “liaison with the fire service”.
“Dorset County CID has been leading the investigation into this matter and, following extensive enquiries, a man aged in his 30s from Milborne Port in Somerset was arrested on suspicion of arson,” a Dorset Police spokesperson said.
“He has been released on police bail as further enquiries are carried out.
“We appreciate this incident has had an impact on the local community however, this remains the subject of an ongoing investigation and we would urge members of the public to refrain from speculation and sharing of information online.”
Anyone with information about the fire should contact police on 101, quoting reference 55260059628.
READ MORE: Landmark Newell House in Sherborne badly damaged in ‘suspicious’ fire
READ MORE: Road passing Newell House could be closed for weeks after fire

